Monday, March 31, 2014

Chocolate Dates Lactation Bars


When your milk supply is running low, one of the most common ways to supplement is with brewer's yeast. Currently struggling with this myself (my little guy just won't latch, so we are having to pump and bottle feed exclusively...yes sad and frustrating), my friend suggested making lactation bars.  This is similar to her recipe, but I've made a few variations and am pretty pleased with this last batch!  Please keep in mind that I am not a doctor, but I did see an increase in my supply by adding these to my diet.  You can play around with the ingredients and measurements to make your own perfect batch.  I've had to add more coconut oil at times, as well as chocolate chips (oil so my processor would keep running smoothly and the chocolate to get rid of the bitter beer after taste).  Let me know what you think tastes best!


Ingredients:
1 lb of dates
1/2-3/4 cup of coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup (or less) cup flax seed
1/4 cup steel cut oats (or rolled oats, NOT instant)
3 tablespoons peanut butter
1 cup unsalted almonds
2 cups chocolate chips
2-5 cups of brewers yeast (depending on how bitter you'd like it)

Directions:
In a food processor, add dates and coconut oil.  Chop/puree until somewhat smooth.  Slowly (one by one), add remaining ingredients until smooth.  On a cookie sheet, line with wax or parchment paper.  Spread the mixture evenly, coating the entire pan.  Stick in the fridge until solid.

You can top with coconut flakes or with nothing. Hope this helps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment